After the development of dental implants, and their proven high rate of success, the way dentists approach tooth loss has changed a great deal. New and improved materials, technology, and techniques provides patients more options than ever before to replace teeth in the precise way that works for them. The benefits of dental implants
are many, which is why we consult with many patients regarding this form of treatment in
our office near Woodstock
. During consultations, we also explain details of treatment, what to expect, as well as ways to facilitate optimal healing after the placement of implants.
Our bodies have the inherent ability to heal wounds and to recover from medical and dental procedures. Some of the ways healing can be encouraged include:
- The body knows what to do to heal and recover after a surgery or illness. The key is that we have to provide it with the time and gentleness necessary for healing to occur. After oral surgery, there is very little soreness to keep you from completing your normal activities. It is important to remember the body needs rest to heal, no matter how good you feel. Taking a little extra rest time for at least a few days is highly beneficial.
- Salt water has incredible healing properties, and it can be used after implant surgery to aid in the reduction of swelling and discomfort. Adding one teaspoon of salt to warm water and gently swishing the solution in the mouth can be done several times a day.
- Salt water has some cleansing capability, but remaining teeth and gums need gentle brushing every day to eliminate harmful bacteria that could inhibit optimal healing. Your dentist can discuss the best ways to clean sore gums if brushing cannot be tolerated.
- Medications to reduce soreness may be prescribed by your dentist, although many people find relief in over the counter pain reducers. For the first day or two following implant surgery, it may be beneficial to take medication at regular intervals rather than waiting to see if pain occurs.
- Soft foods are gentler on new implants and sore gums, and the consumption of foods such as yogurt or soup can create a more comfortable recovery in the first week or so after implant surgery. As soreness decreases, denser foods that require more chewing can be added back into the diet.
We make ourselves available to answer your questions both before and after implant treatment. Contact our office to learn more about implant services, or to schedule your visit.