Family dental care tips from your Kennesaw dentist
As family dentists, one of our primary goals is to protect patients’ teeth from the damaging effects of harmful bacteria. Providing excellent family dental care is what we do in our Kennesaw office. Even more importantly are the habits we encourage our patients to establish at home. Because more time goes by between dental visits than time is spent under our direct care, the bulk of each patient’s oral health lies primarily on his or her own shoulders.
Taking care of our teeth is a daily practice, complemented by professional cleanings, preventative measures such as sealants or fluoride treatments, and restorative care when needed. The strength and attractiveness of our teeth is affected by daily care, as well as lifestyle habits. This means that what we eat and drink is important as well as the standard of oral hygiene we maintain. Recent research has brought to light the fact that many people are putting their oral health at risk with the regular consumption of certain types of popular beverages.
When we consider the foods we eat and drinks we enjoy, what most of us look at sugar content. Not only does sugar feed the body empty calories, this substance plays a role in the formation of cavities. Sugar is not the direct cause of cavities, but rather the fuel source for bacteria that naturally live in the mouth. Fed on sugar, bacteria produce acid that eats away healthy enamel. Many of the drinks people enjoy, including sugary sodas, actually contain enough acid to pose a real threat to teeth.
Like sugar, acid from foods and beverages lingers in the mouth long after the sweet treat has been consumed. Like sugar, acid is dangerous to enamel, a porous substance that coats our teeth. Whether acid comes from bacteria, or from your favorite sport or energy drink, this substance breaks down healthy enamel and makes way for bacteria to progress into teeth.
Is that beverage really a healthy alternative?
In an effort to protect themselves and their families from sugar in soda, many parents switch to sport drinks as a healthy alternative. In our busy lives, we could all use more energy, which is a primary reason for the popularity of energy drinks. With the research now available, a link between these types of drinks and a whole new dental problem has been discovered. It seems the acid content found in many sport drinks, especially energy drinks, tooth erosion is now a common occurrence.
A report found in General Dentistry stated that the acid in these types of beverages break down healthy enamel on teeth within days. In a study, 13 varieties of sports drinks were evaluated, with damage noticed after just five days of regular consumption. In the same study, energy drinks proved to be twice as damaging in the same amount of time.
With this type of evidence showing the impact of our dietary habits, the importance of food and beverage choices, and of excellent oral hygiene practice, takes center stage. Dr. Vo and Dr. Breckley are committed to helping you and your family experience optimal oral health. Contact us to schedule your check-up and professional cleaning.
- Learn about daily tips for good oral hygiene with a Kennesaw, GA area dentist
- Dentist in Kennesaw offers tips and suggestions for patients to maintain a healthy mouth
- Dentist in Kennesaw, GA describes the reasons why patients may require teeth extraction services
- Kennesaw dental office offers residents the best in preventive dental care!
- Cosmetic dentist in Kennesaw, GA offers quality, comprehensive dental care solutions
- Why patients in Kennesaw, GA should have regular dental care
- The hidden cost of missing regular teeth cleanings in Powder Springs
- The importance of regular teeth cleaning services at Hiram, GA area practice
- Why patients in the Acworth area should have regular dental cleaning services
- Dentist for children near Hiram offers a wide variety of services
- Pediatric dentistry tips from trusted dentists in Marietta, GA
- Finding a full-service gentle dental practice in Kennesaw
- Dentist near me in Marietta offers tips for baby and child dental care
- Kennesaw area dentist describes the symptoms of oral cancer
- Patients in Woodstock ask, "Is there a dentist near me who provides oral cancer screenings?"
- Dentists in the Marietta area restore the smile with dental fillings
- Dentist in Kennesaw saves dying teeth during root canal treatments
- Do you follow your Kennesaw dentist's standard of excellence in your own dental care habits?
- Re-think your dental care habits with these 5 tips from a Marietta area dentist
- Is it possible for a dentist in Kennesaw to save a dying tooth?
- Get the regular dental care you need with the help of an affordable dentist close to Marietta, GA
- Can a general doctor in Kennesaw meet all the medical needs of your kids?
- Woodstock, GA dentist describes plaque
- Marietta, GA area dentist describes appropriate care for the teeth and gums
- The importance of complete dental care for Marietta residents
- Receiving gentle dental care from your Kennesaw dentist is the key to oral health
- Discover the total benefits of preventive dental care in the Marietta area
- Family dental care tips from your Kennesaw dentist
- Smile more with great dental care from your dentist near Marietta
- Total at-home dental care for our patients from Woodstock and surrounding areas includes flossing
- Complete health more possible with dental care tips from your dentist near Acworth
About Dr. Sean Breckley
A graduate from the Temple University School of Dentistry and Susquehanna University, Dr. Sean Breckley is an established professional in the field of dentistry. He is a firm believer of contributing to the community and ensuring his patients receive the best possible dental care. Whilst maintaining his professionalism, Dr. Breckley takes time to get to know his patients and make sure they are comfortable and at ease to avoid any unnecessary dental anxiety and stress. He is presently a member of the American Dental Association, Georgia Dental Association, Northwest District Dental Society, and a graduate of the Mercer Mastery Program.
About Dr. Lan Vo
A graduate from the University of California-Irvine and Temple University School of Dentistry, Dr. Lan Vo is a highly skilled and resourceful dentist in the field of professional dentistry. She is an active member of the American Dental Association, Georgia Dental Association, Northwest District Dental Society, American Academy of Implant Dentistry, and a graduate of the Mercer Mastery Program whilst maintaining a certification with the American Academy of Facial Esthetics. Dr. Vo is very people-oriented and is a favorite amongst children and commands a great deal of trust amongst anyone who has had the fortune of being treated by her.