The 32 Dental team cares about your overall health and wellbeing. We utilize progressive technology at our Kennesaw practice to ensure accurate diagnoses and treatments. This helps in identifying signs of oral cancer. Many patients in Woodstock and the surrounding areas ask, "Is there a dentist near me who provides oral cancer screenings?" We are happy to inform them we have two dentists at our office who include oral cancer screenings as a part of dental check-ups. When examining the health of the mouth, teeth, and gums, Drs. Lan Vo and Sean Breckley can identify early signs of oral cancer.
Learning about the signs and symptoms of oral cancer
If not diagnosed and treated early, oral cancer can be life threatening. Oral cancer includes cancer of the tongue, lips, cheeks, mouth, and throat. There are many signs and symptoms of oral cancer including:
- Sores on the mouth, face, or neck that bleed easily and do not heal within two weeks
- Rough spots, swellings, or bumps or lumps on the gums, lips, or other areas inside the mouth
- Velvety red, white, or white and red speckled patches in the mouth
- Bleeding inside the mouth
- Mouth, facial, or neck numbness
- Difficulty chewing or swallowing, speaking, or moving the jaw or tongue
- Chronic sore throat, change in voice, or hoarseness
- Ear pain
- Improperly fitting dentures
Understanding the risk factors of oral cancer
Smoking, chewing tobacco, alcohol use, sun exposure, and a family history of cancer increase the risk of oral cancer. Fortunately, there are ways to prevent it. We recommend avoiding smoking or using tobacco products, limiting your sun exposure, and maintaining a healthy diet.
Scheduling oral cancer screenings
During an examination, we will check for irregular tissue and sores in your mouth. If there are signs of oral cancer, we may request a biopsy. If you have noticed any warning signs of oral cancer, do not delay scheduling an appointment with Dr. Vo or Breckley. The dentist will provide the utmost comfort during your appointment. Call our friendly and knowledgeable team at 770-423-1132 to schedule your dental check-up today.